Memorable words and clever quips about the places where grown men are paid to play a child's game are posted on this page.
“Someday, Camden Yards will be a historic venue, not just in Baltimore, but for all of baseball...it will be viewed as Wrigley Field and Fenway Park are today, as an iconic ballpark, a must-see for all baseball fans.”
- Tim Kurkjian, in his ESPN The Magazine story celebrating Camden Yard's 20th birthday on 4/6/12
“I work inside a museum. This is the loudest that museum has been in a long time.”
- Jonny Gomes, after the Red Sox won the 2013 World Series
“As I grew up, I knew that as a building it was on the level of Mount Olympus, the Pyramid at Giza, the nation’s Capitol, the czar’s Winter Palace, and the Louvre — except, of course, that it was better than all those inconsequential places.”
- A. Bartlett Giamatti, who visited Fenway for the first time at age 10 in 1948 and became baseball's 7th Commissioner in 1989
“It looks like they built the city around the ballpark.”
- TBS announcer Ernie Johnson, during the Reds-Pirates wild card game on 10/1/13
“There is nothing grand about Wrigley Field. Its architectural achievement is its very lack of grandness. It's the clapboard house of ballparks, appealing to our need for a sense of home, for not just the familiar but for the familial.”
- Tom Verducci, in his contribution to Sports Illustrated's special edition, "Wrigley: Celebrating 100 Years of the Friendly Confines"
“To me there are two great stadiums in America: Fenway Park and Wrigley Field. And we tried to make 'The Natural' in Wrigley Field and we couldn't do it because they didn't have lights. Now they do.”
- Robert Redford, speaking in 2011 about the 1984-released movie he starred in, which was filmed at stadiums in Buffalo, NY
“It doesn't hold noise, or home-team fervor, anywhere near the way the old place did. The old Stadium was our 10th man...maybe I'm wrong, but it's hard to see that the new place can ever quite duplicate that.”
- Mariano Rivera, in an excerpt released from his 2014 autobiography, The Closer